The package will focus on the corridor of the Gold Service, which currently serves Aldershot, Farnborough, Frimley and Camberley; a successful and strategically important bus service for Blackwater Valley. However, the service and infrastructure has been in place for 7 years, during which time there have been significant developments within the areas served. It is recognised that additional investment and strategic planning for this service is required to better serve developments such as Aldershot Urban Extension, access to Frimley Hospital, and to improve links to rail. There is also an opportunity to better link active travel modes to both bus and rail services and further opportunities to better link business parks and hubs to the public transport network as well as improvements to public realm. It is essential that high-quality sustainable travel links are improved prior to completion of 3,850 new homes at Wellesley, and new areas of employment, before the car becomes the established mode of travel.
This package of measures will include a strong focus on sustainable transport and complementary improvements to public realm, public transport and the highway network. Building on the significant investment of £4.5 million by the local bus operator into transforming and modernising the vehicles that operate in the area, these elements will together bring significant economic and social improvements to the area, including better access to key business parks and the town centre, making the area more attractive to inward investors and improving access to employment and retail sites for local residents.
The package is still to be fully developed but will be drawn from:
• Public transport walking and cycling schemes along the A325 that will compliment investment made to unlock road capacity along the same corridor
• Blackwater valley Quality Bus Corridor. Improvements to bus reliability, passenger information and passenger infrastructure on Routes 4/5, 17/18/19, 2, 3 & 11
• Yorktown and Watchmoor Public Transport Improvements
• Camberley Town Centre Public Realm Improvements
• Camberley Sustainable Transport Programme
• Wider Network Benefits West