Aldershot Railway Station is an important gateway into Aldershot Town Centre. The project involves:
• significant changes to the existing forecourt of the railway station, through public realm improvements
• a pedestrian friendly environment
• a realigned public transport interchange incorporating buses, taxis, cycling and a ‘kiss and drop’ facility
• the provision of a new decked car park.
• unlocking the existing bus station site to deliver housing and commercial units
The scheme creates an improved public transport interchange within the forecourt of the train station, improving pedestrian linkages into the town centre and, in turn, unlocking a development site (the bus station) in a highly sustainable location adjacent to a mainline railway. The subsequent relocation of the bus station will reduce the number of unnecessary bus movements around this part of the town centre, resulting in reduced traffic congestion around a key transport hub.
In addition, Hampshire County Council is implementing transport improvements to Windsor Way to reduce unnecessary traffic flow/congestion in the town centre and create a more direct connection for commuters travelling to/from the east of Aldershot. Reduced traffic flow along Station Road will facilitate improved pedestrian links between the station gateway and the town centre.